Wednesday 13 March 2024

Riding in Spain

very steep hills great views

I visited southern Spain recently staying with my brother and sister in law near Malaga. Whilst there I had two cycling adventures. They live in the hills around Triana. I borrowed Fitz's bike.

Whilst not hot it was definately warmer than the UK.

I rode twice, both times to the Reservoir La Viñuela. The first was just a tester. I knew the hills were many and steep. They all averaged over 10% with max climbs of close to 20%. The picture above was at the top of the last climb before the descent to the lake. Both ways it hit over 20%. 

We later went for a walk around more of the lake. So I planned a second ride, this time intending to go further.

Reservoir La Viñuela

Reservoir La Viñuela
Reservoir La Viñuela
 

I wasn't disappointed. The weather was great and the views incredible. I took many pictures, I'll just add them all. Enjoy!

Reservoir La Viñuela

Reservoir La Viñuela

Reservoir La Viñuela

Reservoir La Viñuela

Reservoir La Viñuela

Reservoir La Viñuela

Reservoir La Viñuela

Reservoir La Viñuela

Reservoir La Viñuela

Reservoir La Viñuela

 

There was a campsite with barbeques. 

bbq   Reservoir La Viñuela

And a stream. I rode through it thinking is was shallow; it wasn't. I got wet feet. They dried very quickly though.

stream Reservoir La Viñuela

Most of Spain has had a drought for a few years. You are forbidden from using the barbeques. And the lake is at only 7% capacity.

lake nearly drained

I found this picture online to give you an idea of what it should look like.





No comments:

Post a Comment