Friday 17 June 2022

Never satisfied

setting goals
I watched a runners youtube video the other day. Seven things they don't tell you about running. Fairly standard points that are the same for cycling: it will cost more than you think, it'll hurt at times, it can become addictive etc. The last point was a new one though; you'll never be satisfied. 

He said you'll feel great when goals are achived, but then think how much further is possible.

I realised that I had fallen into this "trap". You may have read previous blogs where I talk about wanting to test how far I could go. It is part of the reason for next weeks ride to Cornwall. Certainly the orginal intent of 250 miles in one day. The modified plan is still a big challenge; 500 miles in 5 days of riding over 6 days.

Plans for next year include another big ride over many days. Lands End to John O'Groats is on the to-do list.

I guess spare time to do longer rides will be one deciding factor for how far I go.

I have commitments and a fulltime job. Maybe some of my plans will have to wait until I retire. Age shouldn't be a barrier, I rode with I think the oldest person in Oxted CC last week. It was to celebrate his 87th birthday. We did 100 km or 60 miles.

From what I have read, exercise into old age improves and extends life, so I won't stop riding. And I hope I will still be able to push myself. Even if it's to cover the distances I am now doing.

1 comment: