Thursday 6 October 2022

Has cycling got a problem?

What’s the problem you ask?

Divercity.

I don’t think cycling actively excludes anyone. Please tell me if I'm wrong.

It bothers me that I mostly see people like me generally riding or attending cycling events, taking part in sportives etc. My club has less women and other ethnicities as members. It’s a very welcoming environment so I know we aren’t disuading or preventing anyone joining.

Cycling has a safety issue, I know that will put a lot of people off. This will only improve when society, media, the police and government have a change in attitude and priorities.

I do my best to push for safer roads. Through contacting my local councilors and MP and reporting bad driving to the police. Unfortunately I don’t feel I’m gettig very far. I support organisations that are doing this nationally.

When I watch racing it’s the same. Although I think that’s more influenced by money. Wealthier countries have run schemes to encourage racing at a young age, and to continue that support until pro teams become involved. They also have many pro teams to increase the scope for making a living from the sport. These organisations choose from those available; so it again comes back to creating a more diverse community.

Cycling needs investment in developing countries if they aren't to follow us and have the car become dominant.

We need to do this to ensure people aren’t left behind as cars are seen as too polluting and expensive to use. Cycling needs to become a viable means of transport for the majority, especially in urban areas.

It’s frustrating that the solution could be as simple as making cycling safer.

When it’s seen as normal for everyone we will see more divercity at all levels. Maybe it's more complicated than I think.

What have I missed? What other barriers are there? What can I do?

No comments:

Post a Comment